Did you know that there are actually 20 different types of stained glass? Stained glass is such a diverse medium that can vary in terms of style, design, and color. When you’re looking into creating your own custom stained glass, it can be so helpful to know the different options available. Stained glass can incorporate different types of glass for endless creative opportunities. The following are some of our favorite types of stained glass.
Our Favorite Types of Stained Glass
- Rondels: circular, translucent pieces of glass created by spinning molten glass with a glassblowing rod.
- Glass nuggets: sometimes referred to as globs, glass nuggets are small pieces of glass that aren’t uniform in size or shape.
- Jewels: these gem-like pressed glass pieces are available in a wide variety of colors and shapes.
- Bevels: bevel work can often be the centerpiece of any stained glass– the angled borders are polished to create prisms of light.
- Textured: hammered, crystal ice, ripple, granite, ribbed, moss, muffle, fibroid, flemish, and cube textures can create incredible detail and visual interest.
- Streaky: swirls of color that aren’t mixed together
- Seedy: smooth-surfaced cathedral glass with small air bubbles that are .dispersed throughout.
- Ring mottled: opalescent glass that’s been hand-cast to create hazy surface coverings with circular patterns.
- Opaque: great for creating privacy, opaque glass transmits very little light and is available in single colors as well as swirled multi-colors.
- Opalescent: milky in appearance, opalescent glass has two or more colors combined.
Work with Austin’s Best Custom Stained Glass Studio
Stained Glass Austin is honored to be the best custom stained glass studio serving the Austin, Texas area. We have the largest inventory of glass and have access to custom glass blowing to ensure we’re able to achieve every detail in your custom stained glass design.
For more information, please contact us!